Sunday, 3 April 2011

THE ENGLISH PATIENT by Michael Ondaatje


Honestly, I wanted to like this book. I wanted to so much that I forced myself all the way up to page 125, before I just had to give up.

It is focused on a villa in Italy in the aftermath of the second World War in which live a group of shell-shocked characters: a severely burnt pilot, his nurse, a sapper who is in love with the nurse, and an ex-spy, with no thumbs, who is also in love with the nurse. Could be interesting, right? Sounds like the bare bones of a good movie, right?

OH IT IS SO POETIC I WANT TO PUKE. I was worried right from the get go, because there are a lot of prepositions, which in my experience is always a bad sign. So it begins: "She stands up in the garden . . . " then "She has sensed a shift . . " "Every four days she washes his black body."

Mr Ondaatje likes a literary flourish. Let me just give you the first and last lines of a couple of sections, chosen quite at random.
". . . her body full of sentences and moments, as if awakening from sleep with a heaviness caused by unremembered dreams."
"This cools her and she likes it when she goes outside and the breezes hit her, erasing the thunder."
"Someday there would be a bower of green limes, rooms of green light."

I know this novel won the Booker, and all that, but I can barely choose a paragraph at random without being irritated. Homicidal, actually, by page 125.

8 comments:

  1. Yes, I agree that it is a difficult novel. Sometimes the "literary flourish", as you call it, feels artificial and forced.

    By the way, I laughed when I read that observations about prepositions!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I felt a bit guilty,not liking it, like maybe I was missing something profound! But oh well - you can only like what you like, I suppose x

    ReplyDelete
  3. I must confess I enjoyed The English Patient, so as with the Golden Notebook we'll have to agree to disagree - you must concede you'd surely rather be stuck on a desert island with this one than a Henry Miller, though!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh Lisa! You speak right to my heart when you speak about Henry Miller!!! The English Patient was WAY better than that. I do feel bad. The English Patient definitely goes on my list for trying again later, along with A DANCE TO THE MUSIC OF TIME by Anthony Powell . . .

    ReplyDelete
  5. I gave up on this one too, well done for making it to page 125...a rare case where the film is actually better than the book!

    ReplyDelete
  6. That is so true! I hadn't really thought of that. I wonder if there are any others . . .

    ReplyDelete
  7. I also forced my way up over a hundred pages but so interestingly, I was hooked to the end. So sorry you had to give up but it's worth another try.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oh, that is very interesting to hear! That can sometimes happen, I think - once you get into the swing, you can start to love a novel. I do have a bad habit of getting irritated too soon . . .

    ReplyDelete